Thursday, January 21, 2016

Grateful for Memories

Alrighty then...doing an online class with Katie Kendrick.  This week she had demo'd placing a grid onto whatever substrate one is using; she was actually doing a journal page.

She was thinking about familial memories and began with placing S&H Green Stamps onto her journal pages.   This gave her the beginnings of the grid and took her to memories of sticking them into books for her mother when she was young.

I am attempting the grid assignment today and planned to do it in my journal however I already didn't do it like Katie...which I don't care about except that I liked the idea of grid onto grid that she did.

S&H Green Stamps remind me of when my children were young, maybe even before they were born.  I was forever going to the redemption center to get something for them, either for their care or for decorating their rooms.  I remember getting a baby bottle set with instructions on how to clean and sterilize them.  I think I also got a baby crib at some point for one of the girls.  One could get a toaster or a coffee pot and even do Christmas shopping with the things as long as the center didn't run out of that particular gift.

Those times were fun.  Just me looking forward to having my babies, making their baby food in my blender, brewing coffee in my Pyrex coffee pot, and feeding them with the free baby bottles.

My sister Pat and I were great with the green stamps as I remember, she would be able to get free stuff too so we were always looking at the catalogue, dreaming about what we could do and how we would do it when our kids were born.

Never did I think I would be writing about these happy times later in my life.  At the time we struggled to make ends meet, we worked very hard to have our lives be positive, and the sense of purpose and importance made us so happy.  At 66, I am very grateful for these memories.


1 comment:

  1. I loved the topic
    http://shilpachandrasekheran.blogspot.in/?m=1

    ReplyDelete